Friday, May 23, 2014

Missing Mama

I’m going to miss not only my mother’s tales of long, long ago but also her witty remarks and the inimitable style she had of stringing words together to paint pictures that were often hilarious or outrageous. Mama really had a unique way of describing people, things and situations.

She taught me good, old-fashioned values: Be good and kind. Be generous. Share. Don’t waste. Work hard…

When I was ten she also told me where to kick a man if I had to defend myself.


No, this is not a Mother’s Day message…

Mama left for a better place on the first day of this month, May. No more pain. No more tubes. No more confined to a bed. She can now soar freely over hills and streams and paddy fields and maybe she’ll even visit the place that had been her earthly home.

Mama was one super-active mother/grandmother who couldn’t keep still—until the stroke made her body a prisoner. But her spirit remained free and it roamed the countryside. She was going to walk again, she said. She was going to plant paddy again, and ginger and corn and all things nice.

She did learn to walk after the stroke but she suffered a fall even before she could walk properly.

Then it was back to square one and starting all over again. We know she had tried her best but doing all those leg lifts and arm movements must have been very energy-sapping when you’re old and infirm—and when you can’t really see how they could help you walk again.

She was 86 when she passed away and we buried her next to Father. It was a grand send-off and I’m sure she’d have been both pleased and surprised if she could see all those friends and relatives who had turned up to bid her farewell.

On behalf of my siblings, I want to thank them: for visiting Mama during her long stay at the hospital; for coming to condole or to pray; for their messages, condolences, donations, and attendance during the funeral. We were touched and overwhelmed by everyone’s kindness and generosity. Thank you! Thank you! And God bless everyone!

2 comments:

  1. My deepest sympathy to you and family. Thank you for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete